Ways for U.S. Taxpayers with Undisclosed Foreign Financial Assets to get back to Tax Compliance

Recent major modifications by IRS give an opportunity to taxpayers to get back to tax compliance with substantially reduced or no penalties.



In an effort to encourage the reporting of offshore assets, Internal Revenue Services (IRS) recently announced major modifications to the terms of its existing offshore voluntary disclosure programs. The new procedure offered by IRS gives an easy opportunity to the taxpayers, depending on individual circumstances, to fix the previous errors and get back to tax compliance with substantially reduced or no penalties. The taxpayer must not be under a civil examination or a criminal investigation by the IRS, and have not already been contacted by the IRS about the non-compliance to avail benefit of any of the options. Currently the following are the various options offered by the IRS:

2014 Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program

The Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) is a voluntary disclosure program specifically designed for taxpayers with exposure to potential criminal liability and/or substantial civil penalties due to a willful failure to report foreign financial assets and pay all tax due in respect of those assets.  OVDP provides taxpayers with such exposure a protection from criminal liability and terms for resolving their civil tax and penalty obligations. Under this program, the base penalty is 27.5 percent of the highest aggregate value of the foreign bank accounts or assets during the period covered by the disclosure. The penalty will be increased to 50 percent for any foreign financial accounts that were held at a bank that has been publicly identified as being under investigation or as cooperating with a government investigation.

Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures

The streamlined filing compliance procedures are available to taxpayers whose failure to report foreign financial assets and pay all tax due in respect of those assets did not result from willful conduct on their part.  The procedures are designed to provide to taxpayers in such situations a streamlined procedure for filing amended or delinquent returns and terms for resolving their tax and penalty obligations.

The modified streamlined filing compliance procedures are designed for only individual taxpayers, including estates of individual taxpayers.  The procedures are available to both U.S. individual taxpayers residing outside the United States and U.S. individual taxpayers residing in the United States. Taxpayers using the Procedures will be required to certify that the failure to report all income, pay all tax, and submit all required information returns, including FBARs (FinCEN Form 114, previously Form TD F 90-22.1), was due to non-willful conduct.

Tax returns submitted under the streamlined procedures may be subject to IRS examination, additional civil penalties, and even criminal liability, if appropriate. Taxpayers who are concerned that their failure to report income, pay tax, and submit required information returns was due to willful conduct and who therefore seek assurances that they will not be subject to criminal liability and/or substantial monetary penalties should consider participating in the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) and should consult with their professional tax or legal advisers.

Eligible US taxpayers who resided outside the US in any one of the most recent three years for which US tax returns due date (including extension) has passed, will not pay any penalties. Eligible US taxpayers who resided in the US during this period will pay a penalty of 5% of the highest aggregate balance/value of taxpayers’ foreign financial account during the three years period covered by the tax return or six years covered by the FBAR.  The IRS will not impose accuracy related penalty, information return penalties, or FBAR penalties.

The taxpayers who are currently participating under Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program may be eligible for reduced penalties under the new streamlined filing procedures. A taxpayer seeking such treatment does not need to opt out of OVDP, but will be required to certify, in accordance with the instructions, that the failure to report all income, pay all tax, and submit all required information returns, including FBARs, was due to non-willful conduct

Delinquent FBAR Submission/Information Return Procedures

These procedures allow taxpayers to file delinquent Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) (FinCEN Form 114, previously Form TD F 90-22.1) and/or information returns along with a statement of reasonable cause for late filing. No penalty will be imposed by the IRS for the failure to file the delinquent FBARs or information return if the taxpayer properly reported on U.S. tax returns, and paid all tax on, the income from the foreign financial accounts reported.

Given the ongoing efforts of the IRS to ensure tax compliance with regards to foreign financial assets, pressure on foreign bank to disclose US account holder information and recently announced cooperation among the governments around the world, it is highly recommended that US taxpayers having undeclared accounts review their individual situation with their CPA’s and/or legal counsel and opt for the best course of action.

Write to Baljeet Singh at baljeet.singh@chugh.com.


Thank You for visiting this blog!

The tax blog has been moved to new domain  http://baljeetsinghcpa.com/ effective 2018.  The writing style, and blogs by the author are being presented in a complete different way from what was being presented on this blog. All prior written blogs, except two, have been removed from this website to maintain consistency in authors blog from 2018 on-wards. The two blogs “Tax Tips for H1B Visa Holder” and “Ways for U.S. Taxpayers with Undisclosed Foreign Financial Assets to get back to Tax Compliance” have been kept on this site due to overwhelming response from readers, and their utility for the category of taxpayers till these two topics are covered on the new active blog by the author.


About Baljeet Singh CPA
With over 20 years of overall professional career, Baljeet Singh is extensively experienced in US corporate, partnership and individual tax planning, tax compliance including multistate tax returns filings with foreign accounts and assets reporting, and representation before IRS and other government agencies. Mr. Singh also carries extensive experience in financial statements audit, review, and compilation. Mr. Singh is based out of Edison, New Jersey office of Chugh CPA’s LLP, a global tax and accounting firm. The firm has five offices in the United States and six affiliates office in India. The following are the practice areas Mr. Singh is engaged with: Consultation on Choice of Business Entity and Business Formation Business & Individual Tax Planning & Tax Filing including Complex Multistate Filings Audit Representation before IRS and other Government Agencies Foreign Income Reporting including IRS streamline Filing Procedures CFO Services Audit, Review and Compilation including 401K Audits Bookkeeping Consulting Services including Business Plans, Business Valuation, and 409A Valuations Mr. Singh is a graduate with major in Accounting from University of Delhi, India and Chartered Accountant from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He is a Certified Public Accountant from the State of California and New Jersey. Mr. Singh is a member of the Board of Directors of the Sikh American Chamber of Commerce, a global non-profit organization, and active with TiE (The Indus Entrepreneur), New Jersey and New York, a largest entrepreneurs’ organization in the world. He can be reached at below address or e-mail at baljeet.singh@chugh.com: Baljeet Singh CPA, Chugh CPA’s LLP 295 Pierson Avenue Edison NJ 08837 Phone: 732.662.7776 Please visit www.chugh.net for more details about the firm!

2 Responses to Ways for U.S. Taxpayers with Undisclosed Foreign Financial Assets to get back to Tax Compliance

  1. Mohan says:

    Baljeet Singhji I am very grateful to you for making this information available to the general public.
    I want to declare my Bank A/C holdings in India so that I have the peace of mind. You done great service to people like me who need such help. I wish I can help you to improve your practice/ business. Thank you – Mohan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: